3 Day Biking, Trekking, and Kayaking homestay — Tour code: S2
A day each of mountain biking, extensive trekking, and whitewater kayaking through stunning mountainous landscape along the Nam Xuang River. This tour is best for the serious adventurer with strong swimming and previous kayaking experience.
On day 1 we’ll drive you an hour north to start mountain biking 35-40 kilometers past village after village as you wind your way along the Nam Xuang River. Stop any time for a break to browse the local villages, join the festivities of a local wedding, or to refuel on lunch. A Lao Loum village will host our first night. There are many things to do and explore as your guide prepares a delicious dinner to power a vigorous day of trekking tomorrow.
On day two we’ll wake for breakfast about 7:30 then take a short drive to a Hmong village where we begin a 3 hrs trek to a village where we break for lunch and exploration. The trail is well covered and has a fantastic view as you ascend the mountain. After lunch, we have a 3 hrs trek through a scenic valley until we arrive at a mixed Hmong/Khmu village where we overnight. Get good rest for your final day of kayaking the Nam Xuang.
On day three we’ll wake early, trek our way out of the mountains on another beautifully scenic trail. Arriving at the Nam Xuang river, we’ll take a slow boat to a village, eat lunch, and then push-off on 3 hours of exciting whitewater kayaking. Meet the truck and come on home.
**The conditions on the Nam Xuang river can be quite challenging. This tour should be booked by only confident and strong swimmers with previous kayaking and river safety experience. For an equally great tour but without the high difficulty level, take a look at this 3 Day Bike, Trek, Kayak with optional elephants and zip-lines and waterfall.
- Day 1: 8:30 a.m. meeting, introduction to group and guides, deposit your luggage in our care while on the tour, and briefing on tour before departure. A delicious breakfast is included on the truck as we drive to the start point of the tour.
- Drive north about 1.5 hours to Heuakeng village where we’ll start mountain biking. (the departure point of this tour can be modified to increase or decrease the distance of biking according to the wishes of the group).
- Bike along a roughly paved road approximately 30 kilometers along the Nam Xuang river past numerous villages of all 3 major ethnic groups stopping any time you find something of interest or just want to pause and take in the scenery. We’ll enjoy lunch in any one of the villages along the way.
- Arrive at a predominantly Lao Loum village named Ban Na Po close to the road and adjacent to the river. We’ll encourage you to taste, try, and question everything. Hike down to the river for a swim. Feel free to ask about anything. Your guide will tell you and help you explore everything you’d like to know about local customs, traditions, history, and any other aspect of local life.
- Day 2: Wake for breakfast about 7:30 or 8:00. Transport 20 minutes by truck to a Hmong village where we start trekking. The trekking is difficult and uphill about three to four hours to a Hmong village where we’ll stop for lunch and exploring. The trail is well covered and has a great view.
- Continue trekking down through a valley an additional 3 hours to a Hmong and Khmu village where you overnight.
- Day 3: Wake for breakfast about 7:00. Say your farewells to your new friends in the village and set off on about 3 hours of difficult grade trekking with a beautiful high-mountain view descending eventually to the Nam Xuang river.
- Take a boat downriver to a village where we’ll meet the truck carrying the kayaks. We’ll enjoy lunch in the village and then start kayaking for about 3 hours. During the dry season the rapids can still be challenging, depending on your skill level. During the wet season the rapids are always changing and require strong swimming and river safety skills. Helmets and life-vests are provided and all guests should be strong swimmers and willing and able to follow the instructions of your guide(s).
- We’ll meet the truck and return to the city by 6:30.
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hours.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.