1 Day Trek to Villages and Tad-Se Waterfall with optional Elephant Riding / Bathing and Zip-Lines — Tour code: P4
For the trekking purist: A full day of hiking through jungle and rice-paddies to hill-tribe villages topped off with swimming at Tad Se waterfall with optional elephant riding/bathing and a kilometer of zip-lines through the jungle canopy above the falls.
Trekking, walking, hiking Luang Prabang… call it what you want but put on those hiking shoes or Tevas because we’re going places. This tour is set on the foothills of a mountain covered in jungle that serves as a backdrop to a full day of exploring. We’ll make our way 4-5 hours by foot through jungle and rice-paddies visiting Lao Loum, Hmong, and Khmu villages. At the end of the hiking we’ll top-off the tour with a refreshing and well-deserved swim in the Tad Se waterfall. There are zip-lines to ride through the canopy of trees over the waterfall and small elephant village to feed, bathe, and ride elephants (both optional). This is a great tour to see the beautiful countryside surrounding the city of Luang Prabang.
- 8:30 a.m. meeting, introduction to group and guides, briefing on tour before departure
- Drive about 35 minutes south of Luang Prabang city where we will begin the tour
- Cross the Nam Khan river by bamboo bridge or boat (depending on the season)
- Take a short walk to visit the village Ban Suan Dala which has all three ethnic groups: the Lao Loum, Khmu, and Hmong. The history and lives of each of these groups are rich and remarkably different from each other and from your own. We encourage you to take full advantage of the opportunity to explore these local cultures as we visit the villages. Ask many questions as our English-speaking local Lao guides helps you explore.
- Hike just under three hours through jungle, past rice-paddies and a small farm, and finally to a Khmu village where we’ll stop to enjoy lunch.
- After lunch, continue the scenic trekking 2 hours to the Tat Se waterfall situated adjacent to the Nam Khan river. After the full day of hiking we’ll all enjoy a cool dip in the waterfall (during the rainy season). There is a small elephant village at the waterfall. Feel free to buy some bananas and get up close to feed them. You can also opt to spend an hour bathing them in the waterfall and/or riding them off into the jungle. For anyone feeling brave, there is a kilometer of zip-lines strung through the trees high above the waterfall that you may choose to ride. (Elephants and zip-lines are both optional at the falls)
- When finished at the falls, we’ll take a 10 minute boat ride up the Nam Khan river to the village Ban En. We’ll meet our truck and return to Luang Prabang city by about 4:30 p.m.
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours, we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hrs.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.