2 Day Biking and Kayaking Homestay on the Nam Xuang River — Tour code: N2
A tour for the traveler in need of some serious physical activity in the beautiful, rugged countryside of Laos.
We begin this tour by driving you to the beautiful Nam Xuang river where we’ll begin mountain biking. Thirty-five plus kilometers will take you past countless villages. Stop at any village you like along the way and take in the mountainous scenery, toast a drink to the bride and groom at a local wedding you might come across, or just to take a break to fuel up on good food before setting off again.
We’ll overnight at a predominantly Lao Loum village mixed with a few Hmong and Khmu families. The villages are beautiful and are rich in things to do and learn Enjoy breakfast the second morning then prepare to begin a day of kayaking down the exciting Nam Xuang river surrounded by breathtakingly beautiful jungle and mountains Find a place to enjoy lunch on the banks of the river before carrying on to conclude 3-4 hours of kayaking and rapids. We’ll bring you back to Luang Prabang by truck in time for dinner.
- 8:30 a.m. meeting, introduction to group and guides, deposit your luggage in our care while on the tour, and briefing on tour before departure. A delicious breakfast is included on all home-stays, provided at the onset of the tour.
- Drive north about 1.5 hours to Heuakeng village where we’ll start mountain biking. (the departure point of this tour can be modified to increase or decrease the distance of biking according to the wishes of the group).
- Bike a dirt road about 35-40 kilometers along the Nam Xuang river past countless villages of all 3 major ethnic groups stopping any time you find something of interest or just want to pause and take in the scenery. We’ll enjoy lunch in any one of the villages along the way.
- Arrive at a predominantly Lao Loum village named Ban Na Pho, rich in things to do and see. We encourage you to taste, try, and question everything. We’ll visit a temple built during the Vietnam war. Feel free to ask about anything. Your guide will tell you and help you explore everything you’d like to know about local customs, traditions, history, and any other aspect of local life.
- On the second morning, wake for breakfast about 8:00 a.m. and take in the morning activities of the village.
- Our truck will arrive and transport you and the kayaks to our departure point on the Nam Xuang River.
- Kayak 3-4 hours down the Nam Xuang River, enjoying lunch on the river banks. Take a swim at any point. During the rainy season the rapids can be quite challenging and are best for strong swimmers with some experience kayaking. During the dry season the rapids lower and are suitable for guests of all kayaking abilities with strong swimming skills.
- Pick-up and transport back to the city by about 5:00 p.m. exhilarated, well-worn, and with great pictures and memories.
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hrs.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.