1 Day Trek Kuang-Si Waterfall — Tour code: P9
Stunning jungle trekking, wildlife, rope swings, and luxurious swimming in the mineral-rich waters of the Kuang-Si waterfall
This is a trekking tour through some of the most lush and varied jungle that concludes at one of Luang Prabang’s most beautiful destinations, the Kuang-Si waterfall, where you’ll swim in and explore the numerous refreshing and beautiful pools.
- 8:30 am meeting, introduction to group and guides, briefing on tour before departure
- Start a scenic fifty minute drive out of the city, up mountains, and through mountainous jungle and farmland passing Hmong and Khmu hill-tribes along the way.
- We will visit and tour first a Khmu and then Hmong traditional hill-tribe village before we begin our trek. Our experienced guides will share cultural and historical information about the Hmong and Khmu people indigenous to this area and will answer your questions.
- Begin our 3 hour hike taking us through rich jungle, to a natural spring which is the source of the Kuang-Si waterfall (and is the reason this waterfall runs all year round), to the top of the falls with a fantastic view, and ultimately down to the waterfall itself.
- We’ll enjoy lunch, have ample time for photographs, and take a good long swim in the many pools running from the falls, and take a plunge off the rope swing at its biggest pool. Don’t forget to visit the bear sanctuary before you go.
- We’ll get back on the truck for transport back to the city by about 4:30 p.m. soon enough that you could grab dinner at Utopia restaurant or watch the sunset from Phou-Si mountain.
During the rainy season, roughly from July to October, the Kuang Si waterfall is swollen with rainwater. The quantity of water will impress and you can bask in the spray and take in the scene and sound from the vantage point of a newly constructed and attractive bridge traversing the river. Swimming may be inadvisable due to the strong currents. But what you’ll miss about swimming, you will gain in the sheer awe of the scene.
During the dry season, roughly from January to May, the Kuang Si waterfall is largely void of rainwater. What is left is a significant and beautiful flow of mineral-rich water flowing from a natural spring deep in the jungle (this source is present during the rainy season as well, but goes unnoticed due to the volume of rainwater). The water is a stunning turquoise and green color, slightly opaque from the quantity of minerals enriching the water.
Experience during any season, the Kuang Si waterfall is sure to be a favorite spot in your time in Luang Prabang.
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours, we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hrs.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.