2 Day Trekking and Whitewater Kayaking Homestay with local Hmong and Khmu ethnic groups — Tour code: N4
Great trekking and home-stay experience with kayaking on the Nam Ou River, the river with year-round rapids for the best kayaking experience.
A combination tour of trekking and kayaking on and around Nam Ou River, the largest tributary of the Mekong river in northern Laos. On day 1 we will trek 4-5 hours through jungle and farmland making our way between numerous villages of all of Laos’ major ethnic tribes: the Lao Loum, Hmong, and Khmu. We will overnight in the stilted houses of the Khmu, enjoy dinner prepared by our guides, and will have time to socialize with the people of the village to take a glimpse at their remarkable way of life. On day 2 we’ll eat breakfast, hike an hour off the mountain to meet our truck, and make a short drive to the banks of the Nam Ou River where we’ll launch our 3 hours of kayaking.
The Nam Ou river is surrounded by mountains and jungle. You’ll wind your way along open stretches of water and rapids where people will be fishing and going about their daily lives. Lunch will be enjoyed on the banks of the river. Jump in for a swim any time. Indulge in the beauty of the natural landscape of Laos and its diverse cultures the entire time.
- 8:30 a.m. meeting, introduction to group and guides, deposit your luggage in our care while on the tour, and briefing on tour before departure. A delicious breakfast is included on all home-stays, provided at the onset of the tour.
- Drive north about 1.5 hours crossing the furthest of three local tributaries to the Mekong River.
- Our trekking departure point is a Lao Loum village named Ban Hoi Lo. Trek about 3.5 hours to a Hmong village where we’ll stop for a tour and information.
- Continue hiking about 1.5 hours stopping to visit another Hmong village and finally arriving at a Khmu village for your homestay. The Hmong ethnic group are more recent inhabitants of Laos and are of Chinese ancestry. Use this opportunity to explore the differences between these two oldest ethnic groups of Lao.
- One final hour of trekking and we’ll arrive at a Khmu village for our home-stay. We’ll sleep in stilted houses after exploring the village, enjoying dinner prepared by our guides, and perhaps relaxing with the village residents near campfires under star-filled skies.
- Wake to breakfast about 8 a.m., bid our farewells to our new Khmu friends, and begin trekking about 1.5 hours off the mountain.
- We’ll rendezvous with our truck which will transport you and the kayaks about 20 minutes to our departure point on the Nam Ou River. Deposit your backpacks on the trucks and grab your cameras for the kayaking.
- We’ll navigate our kayaks through jungle-covered mountains along a large stretch of the Nam Ou. Rapids are present year-round and are suitable for strong swimmers of all kayaking experience levels. The rapids are higher in the rainy season and medium to easy during the dry season.
- Kayaking is three hours in total with lunch in the middle on the banks of the river.
- Meet our truck for a 1 hour transport back to the city by about 4:30 p.m. to conclude this whitewater kayaking tour
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hrs.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.