3 Day Trek / Trek / Kayak to Tad Se Waterfall, optional Elephant bathing/riding and Zip-lines — Tour code: S8
Two full days of jungle trekking with great views followed by one day of kayaking down the Nam Khan river with a stop at the refreshing Tad-Se waterfall where you can opt to ride and bathe elephants and even ride a kilometer of zip-lines through the canopy of trees over the waterfall.
On day 1 of this tour you will see three villages (two Khmu and one Hmong) as you trek through some of the most stunning jungle around Luang Prabang with expansive views afforded by a slight ascent along your trek. We’ll enjoy lunch at Hmong village next to a small lake. The trekking this day is intermediate (to difficult in some areas if wet from rain) for about 5-6 hours total before arriving at a beautiful Khmu village where we will spend the first night homestay. Enjoy a Laos style dinner at the village prepared by your Lao guide.
On day 2 wake to breakfast, pack your bags, and say your farewells as we depart on another day of about 4-5 hours of jungle and rice-paddy trekking. Today we’ll pass through a Hmong village overlooking Luang Prabang, descend a short trek off the mountain where we will stop to take lunch in bamboo huts used by locals when tending the rice paddies, and conclude the hike by arriving at a Khmu village situated on the banks of the Nam Khan river that we will kayak on the following day. Feel free to take a swim in the river. You’ll enjoy it after your two days of trekking.
On day 3 our crew will deliver the kayaks, pick up your backpacks, and see your group off as we embark on a day of kayaking, waterfalls, and optional elephant and zip-line riding. We’ll kayak about 40 minutes down to the Tad Se waterfall. Whether you choose to ride them or not, elephants are part of this tour as they are bathing in the waterfall and being ridden into the jungle. We’ll serve lunch when you’re hungry from swimming. If you dare brave the heights, spend an hour of this time soaring through the trees on the kilometer of zip-lines stretched through the canopy of trees. When everyone’s ready, we’ll get back into the kayaks for about 2-3 hours (depending on water levels) of kayaking past jungle, villages, and locals fishing to our final pick-up before driving back to Luang Prabang city.
- Day 1: 8:30 a.m. meeting, introduction to group and guides, deposit your luggage in our care while on the tour, and briefing on tour before departure. A delicious breakfast is included, provided at the onset of the tour.
- Drive about 45 minutes to the banks of the Nam Khan river.
- Cross the river by small boat and begin our trek. This trek is very scenic with a great view back across the Nam Khan River in the direction of Luang Prabang city.
- Hike about 1.5 hours to a Khmu village call Hoi Nok for a tour of this most ancient of local ethnic groups with roots going back to Cambodia.
- Continue trekking about 40 minutes past small caves to a Hmong village called Long Gud where we’ll enjoy a delicious lunch prepared by our White Elephant Adventures team.
- Trek another 3.5 hours to arrive at our final destination, a scenic Khmu village, thus concluding our first day about 5-6 hours total of trekking. Our guides will help you immerse into the home-stay experience. Take this chance to explore all your curiosities about the local Laos ethnic groups and enjoy their welcoming nature.
- Day 2: Wake to enjoy breakfast at about 8:00 and then we’ll say our farewells and begin trekking through farmland and jungle for two hours to a small Hmong farming village located on the side of a mountain overlooking Luang Prabang.
- Depart the Hmong village and we’ll trek down to a rice farm with small huts used by the locals when tending the land where we’ll stop for lunch.
- Continue trekking off the mountain to a Khmu village beautifully situated right on the banks of the Nam Khan river where we spend the night. Feel free to take a late-afternoon swim in the river and watch people fishing.
- Day 3: We’ll wake up about 8:00, take breakfast and at about 9:30 our kayaks will be delivered to us. We’ll give kayaking safety instruction and set off on the first leg of a full day of refreshing and cool kayaking.
- After about 40 minutes of paddling down the Nam Khan river we’ll arrive at the Tad Se waterfall. The waterfall tumbles over extensive small falls covering a huge area and then drains directly into the Nam Khan river that you’re kayaking. Tie up the kayaks and we’ll walk up to the waterfall for refreshing swimming, optional elephant riding and/or bathing, optional zip-lines, and a delicious lunch to keep you going.
- Hop back into the kayaks and we’ll kayak between another 2 to 3 hours (depending on water levels) through small rapids suitable for all levels of experience and ages. We’ll meet our truck carrying your backpacks and drive 15 minutes back to the city to end this beautiful tour. We normally arrive back to Luang Prabang city by about 4:30 p.m. Times vary according to the pace of our customers and a flexible schedule to accommodate our diverse customers.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour, except on indicated tours. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hours.