2 Day Trek and Khmu Hill-Tribe Homestay with Amazing Scenery overlooking Luang Prabang — Tour code: N10
This tour is very scenic with unusual villages to explore, dense jungle to disappear in, and varied farmland to traverse on this visually stunning tour. This is a great tour for nature and culture enthusiasts who love to take pictures.
We’ve got a good distance to go on this tour but you’ll want to be stopping all the time to take pictures. We’ll start on the banks of the Nam Khan river crossing it by boat before setting off by foot into rice paddies and big jungle. We cover a fair distance on this trek. The first day is about six hours of intermediate trekking up and down mountains, through thick jungle, across varied farmland, and to very interesting Hmong and Khmu villages. One of the Khmu villages is particularly unusual in its isolation of its inhabitants, the method of purifying their water from a lake in the center of the village, and in that they speak only the language of Khmu (not the common language of Laos spoken as a first or second language of most Laotians). We’ll home-stay with the indigenous Khmu hill tribe at their village with a view. On the second day we’ll trek about five hours up and down traversing the side of a mountain for some time through cultivated land and jungle before trekking downhill to a new location on the banks of the Nam Khan river where our truck will be waiting to deliver us back to Luang Prabang.
- 8:30 a.m. meeting, introduction to the group and your guides, deposit your luggage in our care for the tour, and a short briefing before departure. A delicious breakfast is included on all home-stays, provided at the onset of the tour.
- Drive south of Luang Prabang about 40 minutes to a village on the banks of the Nam Khan river
- Cross the river by small boat to where we will begin trekking through rice fields 45 minutes to a Khmu village
- Continue trekking. We’ll stop to take in a fantastic view of karst mountains and cliffs before entering a dense canopy of jungle that we’ll hike through for 2 hours to a Hmong village
- Stop for lunch at this unusual and interesting Hmong village of bamboo houses situated in a valley with a small lake surrounded by mountains
- Well fed, it’s back into the jungle for 2 hours of trekking through lush jungle. Exiting the canopy of trees, we then make our way through rolling rice-paddies and cultivated land for another 2 hours of open-view trekking.
- Arrive at a Khmu village which will host our homestay. Situated on the side of a mountain, this village has steep jungle rising up behind and an expansive view towards the east great for taking sunset pictures. Enjoy your time in this village exploring, talking to the locals using our guide to help translate, taking photographs, and learning Laos cooking styles from your guide.
- On day 2 we’ll wake about 8:30 a.m. to coffee, tea, and breakfast prepared by the guide.
- Trek 1.5 hours to a Hmong village through farmland with good views
- Take a tour of the village, then trek another 1.5 hours to a Khmu hill-tribe village where we’ll take lunch
- Now on our final stretch, hike off the mountain a little over two hours to banks of the Nam Khan river.
- Cross the river by small boat and, if you’d like, jump in for a swim. Our truck will be waiting to transport us back to Luang Prabang by about 4:30 p.m.
On all our tours we provide delicious vegetarian or non-vegetarian cuisine, fresh local fruit, unlimited water, safety gear, basic first-aid, and conscientious and well-mannered English-speaking local Lao guides. As a complimentary offer for joining our tours we provide a discount voucher on a meal at Luang Prabang’s riverside garden restaurant and bar - Utopia -
For overnight tours this includes breakfast on the morning of the tour. We offer free luggage storage and a safe for your valuables, clean sleeping bags, and mosquito nets when necessary for home-stays.
All times are approximate and tours may vary in specific details according to season, weather conditions, and/or for safety reasons as deemed necessary by White Elephant Adventures staff.
Tour price and availability inquiries are available using the Booking and Pricing page or by completing the form below. A White Elephant Adventures representative will respond within 48 hrs.
Further details about services and care provided on all of our tours in Luang Prabang are available here.